Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Elaina Carter Is Born, May 9, 2008



The big day was finally here! My water broke at noon on Thursday, May 8.  I didn't go into labor until 1:00 am on Friday morning, May 9.  I experienced strong contractions for 2 hours and then I got an epidural.  It feels like your mouth does after you go to the dentist, except it isn't your jaw that feels it, but your legs.  I couldn't move my legs.  Neil had to move them for me.  I pushed for 2 hours and then Doctor O'Hara came in and suctioned the baby out.  I have a prominent tailbone.  I'm sure that is why my tailbone hurt during pregnancy.  He delivered the baby, the placenta, and had me sewed me up in 12 minutes.  I kept thinking, why couldn't he have done that sooner!

We decided to name our baby Elaina Evelyn Carter.  Evelyn was Neil's mom's middle name, and Elaina was the only name that both of us could sort of agree on.  Elaina got a 9 on her ABGAR test, which means she was really healthy.  Unfortunately nursing didn't go so well and Elaina lost weight the first couple of days.  This brought on jaundice so she got ultra violet light therapy.  She looked like a baby superhero with her ultraviolet goggles.  Fortunately, she is fine today.

No comments:

Post a Comment